BBC News reports:
The figures come from a report by children’s charity Plan International UK, which said many girls feel street harassment is “all part of growing up”.
- 66% of girls in the UK said they had experienced unwanted sexual attention or sexual or physical contact in a public place
- 35% of girls reported receiving unwanted sexual contact such as being touched, groped or grabbed
- Girls as young as eight years old described witnessing or experiencing harassment
- More than one in three girls received unwanted sexual attention such as being groped, stared at, catcalled and wolf-whistled while wearing school uniform
- One-quarter of girls said they had been filmed or photographed by a stranger without permission