Ormond has filed a lawsuit against the disgraced movie producer and accuses the Walt Disney Company, Miramax and her former agents of knowing Weinstein was a problem but doing nothing about it.
The case was filed on Wednesday (local time) in state Supreme Court in Manhattan under the Adult Survivors Act. It’s a law passed in 2022 that allows a temporary window for those who allege sexual assault to file past the state’s normal deadlines.
In her suit, Ormond says she was a star on the rise when she met Weinstein in 1994.
She accuses him of committing sexual battery against her in December 1995 after a business meeting, and then retaliating against her and negatively affecting her career after she confronted him weeks later.
The British actress said she told her US agents at the time, Creative Artists Agency, but received no support and was advised not to take any legal action or other steps.
She accuses CAA, Disney and Miramax, saying that they knew Weinstein presented a danger to women but did nothing to stop him or to help her.
Weinstein, 71, was convicted of rape and sexual assault in New York in 2020 and is in prison in the state. Last year, he also was convicted of another rape in Los Angeles. He has appealed both convictions.