‘Record-breaking’ sexual harassment damages awarded in QLD – Lawyers Weekly

In the wake of a “manifestly inadequate” award, the president of the Industrial Court of Queensland has increased the compensation for a woman who suffered sexual harassment and discrimination a

Source: ‘Record-breaking’ sexual harassment damages awarded in QLD – Lawyers Weekly

NSW Law Society opens sexual harassment in law portal | Australasian Lawyer

““As an association that represents 43% of Australia’s solicitors, we have a responsibility to be part of the solution and ensure that victims can speak out against unacceptable behaviour in the knowledge that it will have severe consequences for the perpetrator, and not them,” President Juliana Warner said.

She added that the Sexual Harassment in the Law portal is a crucial part of the organisation’s current efforts to cut out “disgraceful and unacceptable behaviour” in legal offices.

Source: NSW Law Society opens sexual harassment in law portal | Australasian Lawyer

MP Joanna Cherry blames ‘irresponsible’ SNP for abuse and demands apology | HeraldScotland

Grant Karte was today ordered not to contact Ms Cherry for five years, given a supervised community payback order for 15 months and ordered to do 160 hours of unpaid work after sending the MP threats on Twitter.

The MP for Edinburgh South West said: “Earlier on the same day I had been sacked from the SNP Westminster frontbench after senior SNP politicians, members of the SNP NEC and staff employed by the party had wrongly accused me of transphobia, simply because I had spoken up to defend the rights of women and girls and the right to free speech.”

She said their “irresponsible accusations put a target on my back” and that it was “wholly foreseeable that further abuse and threats might be elicited, as in fact happened.”.

She added: “The recent Employment Appeal Tribunal judgement in the case of Forstater v CGD Europe has made it quite clear that my beliefs as a gender critical feminist are protected under the Act. I also share the protected characteristics of sex and sexual orientation.”

Ms Cherry also reiterated that she would continue to defend “the rights of women and girls, the rights of lesbians to be same-sex attracted and the right to freedom of speech” and said it was “not transphobic”, adding: “I will continue to do so despite the attempts to silence me.”

Source: MP Joanna Cherry blames ‘irresponsible’ SNP for abuse and demands apology | HeraldScotland

#FatUglySlut – Online Abuse Against Women – Watch the full documentary | ARTE

Women are twenty-seven times more likely than men to be harassed on social media. This shocking finding, published by the European Women’s Lobby in 2017, suggests that cyber-violence against women is not a series of isolated acts, but a systemic scourge. Sociological studies have shown that it is mostly committed by men who, contrary to popular belief, belong to more privileged socio-economic groups. Feeling protected by the virtual nature of their actions, the perpetrators are organised and sometimes carry out “digital raids”, or harassment in packs, with terrible consequences, both personal and professional, for their victims. This documentary focuses on women’s testimony from all walks of life who have been victim of online abuse and examines the harm this phenomenon does to them and to democratic debate.

Source: #FatUglySlut – Online Abuse Against Women – Watch the full documentary | ARTE

Ms Represented: Gillard says sexism worsened the longer she stayed PM

On the ABC’s Ms Represented, Julia Gillard says the sexism she endured as Australia’s first female prime minister only worsened during her time in the role.

The 30-minute program airs at 8pm on Tuesday and shows how sexist attitudes still plague women in Parliament eight years after the incident with Mr Abbott.

A growing number of women across the political divide are calling for a code of conduct that clearly outlines the behavioural and ethical standards expected from politicians with regard to women in Parliament.

Last week, several federal MPs attended a two-day summit run by the Australian National University’s Global Institute for Women’s Leadership, chaired by Ms Gillard, to help establish a model of conduct for Australia’s Parliament.

Source: Ms Represented: Gillard says sexism worsened the longer she stayed PM

Consent video: Milkshakes bring all the headshakes to the government

After a litany of own goals that led to a crash in its approval ratings from women, the government has doubled down with a ludicrously ham-fisted suite of consent education videos, targeted at year 10 to 12 students.

It’s quite a challenge to get so much so wrong on consent and respectful relationships, but it appears this is one challenge the Morrison government is well able to meet.

The list of failures is long and would be hilarious if this wasn’t so serious.

They include:

  • A boy aiming a speargun into the distance as he sits next to a fearful girl
  • Another boy lifting weights next to a slim girl standing passively in a weight-loss machine
  • Drawing a deeply insulting equivalence between rape and eating tacos
  • Coyly avoiding any mention of sex, as if 16 to 18-year-olds might never have heard of it
  • Not even addressing the concept of consent with students until they’re in year 10, contrary to the advice of almost every expert in the country
  • Disrespectful relationships explained by showing a mean girl smearing a milkshake over the face of a poor, hapless white boy, ignoring all the evidence that shows violence is overwhelmingly committed by men against women
The “tortured metaphors” of milkshakes and tacos have been slammed.
  • A disturbing emphasis on fixing or staying in a relationship (despite the milkshake disrespect) because she’s pretty and has wavy hair and kisses
  • Relating to the youngsters with pinball machines and badminton
  • Videos with sets that look like Play School leftovers
  • The voiceover for the video in the technology section for year 10 to 12 students that sounds like it was recorded for the Play School demographic
  • Commissioning a grandad-professor-from-the-1950s type to do the voiceover about sex and rape – without ever actually mentioning sex or rape
  • The video called “Kiss”, about girls being the conflicted gatekeepers of sex, while boys pursue sex with no conflict or questions.

And that is far from a complete list.

If you follow the links through The Good Society’s website, you . . .  end up on a site called Fight the New Drug.

FTND is a US-based public charity, which claims to have no religious affiliation, despite all its founding members being Mormon and as The Atlantic’s James Hamblin notes, “its facts rely on claims from Mormon author Donald Hilton’s He Restoreth My Soul: Understanding and Breaking the Chemical and Spiritual Chains of Pornography through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.”

This is not the only American link. The videos have a strangely American slant.

Source: Consent video: Milkshakes bring all the headshakes to the government

Oxfam rocked by new sex claims against aid workers | News | The Times

Oxfam is facing new allegations of sexual exploitation, bullying and mismanagement only weeks after it was cleared to apply for government aid funds again following the Haiti scandal.

The charity has commissioned an independent investigation into accusations against senior managers in the Democratic Republic of Congo that allege intimidation, death threats, fraud and nepotism.

Source: Oxfam rocked by new sex claims against aid workers | News | The Times

Misogynistic ‘radicalisation’ of boys online has these experts calling for change – ABC News

In Australia, 65 per cent of girls and young women have reported being harassed or abused online.

But some experts are arguing that in a “manosphere” of online anti-women groups, methods of communication and organisation are becoming more sophisticated.

At the more serious end of the spectrum, these experts say, are operators that must be seen and named as “extremist” or “terrorist” groups – particularly if anything is to be done to stop them.

Dr Roose would like to see a “reclassifying” of the worst of the online behaviour that exists, in groups that target women online, and actively advocate harassment and violence towards women.

When the behaviour involves promoting, advocating or threatening violence or sexual violence to control women, “it needs to be actually considered a form of violent extremism,” Dr Roose says.

Source: Misogynistic ‘radicalisation’ of boys online has these experts calling for change – ABC News

Prime Minister Scott Morrison, are you listening? Here are our stories

We invited you to tell him your stories through the Herald and The Age. And the deluge began. Hundreds of women from across the country wrote of the traumas suffered, of feelings of shame, humiliation and fear they had endured, many for decades. They had been abused by friends, family, colleagues, strangers; in their homes, at their workplaces, on public transport, in taxis – anywhere and everywhere. Some women told of their experiences from 50, 60 years ago, for the first time. Grandmothers, mothers, daughters wondered what their lives would have been like had they not had to carry their secrets, their traumas, their shame through the years.They are united in their desire to be listened to for altruistic reasons – they want their stories to contribute to the movement towards change that has gripped the country. They are inspired by the bravery and strength of young women like Brittany Higgins, Grace Tame, Chanel Contos and those who responded to her petition, and have told of their experiences to build on the momentum created by younger generations. They are angry because every woman has a story to tell and injustices continue. And they want to be part of what they hope will be historic change in the treatment of women in society – because enough is enough.

Source: Prime Minister Scott Morrison, are you listening? Here are our stories