“It says women don’t matter very much”: Tyler, The Creator permitted to tour in Australia

Tyler The Creator finishes tour in Australia despite lyrics rapping about raping and murdering women

Despite being stopped from entering Australia in 2015, rapper Tyler, The Creator has just completed a successful three-show tour across the country.

US rapper Tyler Okonma, 28, was targeted by women’s rights group Collective Shout in 2015 ahead of a proposed Australian tour for his violent misogynistic lyrics, which include graphic descriptions of rape and murder.

Some of his most disturbing lyrics include: “I just wanna drag your lifeless body to the forest and fornicate with it,” “Rape a pregnant bitch and tell my friends I had a threesome,” “You call this shit rape but I think that rape’s fun,” and “Punches to the stomach where that bastard kid supposed to be.”

Tyler, The Creator just finished an Australian tour.

Collective Shout campaigns manager Caitlin Roper said the group was “disappointed, but unfortunately not surprised” Okonma was permitted to tour the country.

“It says that women and girls don’t matter very much.”

Source: “It says women don’t matter very much”: Tyler, The Creator permitted to tour in Australia

New Zealand’s first pornography report finds ‘problematic’ amount of coercion

More than a third of all pornography watched in New Zealand depicts non-consensual sexual activity, a study by the chief censor has found, in the first report of its kind into the country’s sexual viewing habits.

Government’s chief censor says storylines featuring male persistence would be adopted by younger viewers in their own sex lives.

Women’s groups in New Zealand say that extreme sexual acts are increasingly being viewed as normal by young people, mostly due to their popularity and prevalence in pornography.

Affectionate acts between partners was present in only about a quarter of the clips studied, and only 3% featured the use of a condom.

Source: New Zealand’s first pornography report finds ‘problematic’ amount of coercion | World news | The Guardian

Penny’s victory: Major court win for ‘buyer’s remorse’ rape case victim

Penny was raped by a stranger who had taken her home after she was passing out drunk at Crown Casino. When her case went to court, Magistrate Richard Pithouse suggested he couldn’t reward someone with “buyer’s remorse”. Now vindication.

In a major victory for the legally blind woman left with post-traumatic stress, a court on Thursday ruled Penny had indeed been the victim of sexual violence.

In Penny’s case, as with many investigations of sexual violence, police had decided they did not have enough evidence to win a conviction.

But she still had the option to pursue the matter at VOCAT.

Magistrate Hayes found Penny had been so affected by alcohol, exacerbated by a prescription medication, rendering her in no state to consent to sex on the night in March 2017.’

Source: Penny’s victory: Major court win for ‘buyer’s remorse’ rape case victim

‘One comfort woman for every 70 soldiers’, Japanese records show

The 1993 report named after then-Chief Cabinet Secretary Yohei Kono details how women were forced to work in brothels.

“From the latest document … we got detailed information on the operation of the brothels – how many soldiers were so-called assigned to a comfort woman,” said Yoon Mi-hyang, head of the Korean Council for the Women Drafted for Military Sexual Slavery by Japan.

“This is a clear sign that the Japanese government is accountable for forcefully recruiting Korean women for sexual enslavement.”

Source: ‘One comfort woman for every 70 soldiers’, Japanese records show | Japan News | Al Jazeera

Pope ends ‘secrecy’ in reporting sex abuse

Catholic priests thinking about keeping quiet on suspected sexual abuse will no longer be able to hide behind the Vatican’s secrecy rules.

In Australia, as in other countries, the Catholic Church has been accused of protecting pedophile priests and covering up the sexual abuse of children.

Last month, attorneys-general agreed to standardise laws making it mandatory for priests to report child abuse revealed to them during confession.

But that didn’t ensure church figures were not going to use a “confessional privilege” defence – until now.

Priests have been given the green light to share documents and information against a third party in criminal or civil proceedings, as well as update victims on their cases.

Pope Francis has vowed zero tolerance for offenders, but victims of abuse want him to do more and make bishops who allegedly covered up the abuse accountable.

Source: Pope ends ‘secrecy’ in reporting sex abuse

A Prosecutor’s Fight for Justice: 11,000 Abandoned Rape Kits Tested and 824 Serial Rapists Identified

“If we cannot treat our sexual assault victims right, especially if justice has been denied to them for so many years, we certainly want to be able to treat our current survivors properly.”

The results of the clearing the Detroit backlog were shocking. Of the 824 serial rapists identified, over 50 individuals had committed 10 to 15 assaults apiece. With the help of CODIS, the FBI’s Combined DNA Index System database, they also linked attackers to crimes committed in 39 other states. Now that the testing is complete, the investigation and prosecutions are on-going. “It has been a decade now and we are far from done,” reflects Worthy. Her office currently has 588 cases that are either being investigated or are yet to be tackled.

The End the Backlog website provides a state-by-state summary of the currently known rape kit backlog and an overview of legislature reform efforts, as well as information on how citizens can get involved in this important issue. Such legal reforms are essential to ensuring that backlogs, once cleared, won’t return in the future. As Worthy observes, “No one turns their back on a cold case homicide. So we wouldn’t even have this discussion… but because it’s sexual assault, for whatever reason, it’s very easy for some folks to sweep this under the rug.”

Source: A Prosecutor’s Fight for Justice: 11,000 Abandoned Rape Kits Tested and 824 Serial Rapists Identified | A Mighty Girl

‘Broken system’: Weinstein reaches $US25m settlement deal with more than 30 women

Time’s Up has declared Harvey Weinstein’s massive settlement on his civil cases proof of a “broken system that privileges powerful abusors.”

The disgraced movie mogul has reached a US$25 million settlement with a number of women who accused him of sexual misconduct, bringing to a close almost all civil lawsuits filed against him since 2017. He still faces a seperate criminal charges over multiple accusations of sexual assault, due to be heard in January.

The news has come from his attorneys, with a US Bankruptcy Court judge still yet to formally seal the deal. Under the terms of the deal, Weinstein won’t have to admit to any wrongdoing. Nor will he personally have to pay a cent, according to the New York Times which has reported the settlement.

Source: ‘Broken system’: Weinstein reaches $US25m settlement deal with more than 30 women