No inquest into death of Christian Porter rape accuser

The South Australian coroner has ruled out an inquest but will not reveal the findings of an investigation into the death of an Adelaide woman alleged to have been raped as a teenager by former federal attorney-general Christian Porter.

In a statement on Thursday, State Coroner David Whittle said he had completed an “exhaustive” coronial investigation into the death of a woman referred to as Kate, who alleged she was sexually assaulted by Mr Porter when she was a teenager more than 30 years ago.

Mr Whittle said he had entered a finding as to the cause of Kate’s death and determined that an inquest would not be held.

SA Police referred the sexual assault allegation to NSW Police in 2020, but the investigation was closed because there was “insufficient admissible evidence” to proceed.

It was previously revealed NSW police detectives met Kate in Sydney in February 2020 and had contact with her on at least five occasions over the next three months.

On June 23 she indicated in an email to them that she did not wish to proceed with the complaint and two days later SA police advised she had died.

Source: No inquest into death of Christian Porter rape accuser

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.