Department of Communities and Justice have released a consultation paper on “LGBTQ+” conversion practices.
- The terms of the consultation conflates sexuality with gender identity.
- The terms of the consultation does not give a definition of what is means to have a gender identity (or to be ‘converted’)
- The consultation is being done behind closed doors.
- The consultation is invitation-only. There is no public input sought.
- The draft text of the Conversion Practices Prohibition Bill 2023 has not been made available for public scrutiny.
- The consultation is between Department of Communities and Justice and the NSW Ministry of Health, who will decide whether to listen to members of the public. There is NO AVAILABLE PUBLIC INFORMATION published about the consultation.
- Only 3 weeks is being given for the consultation submissions made to [email protected] required before 25 August 2023.
- The consultation documents indicate that this bill will be modelled on similar legislation introduced in Victoria.
Read the documents here: