- Between 2010–2014:
- 25% of all pregnancies ended in an induced abortion.
- Around 25 million unsafe abortions were estimated to have taken place worldwide each year, almost all in developing countries
- Each year between 4.7% – 13.2% of maternal deaths can be attributed to unsafe abortion
- The annual cost of treating major complications from unsafe abortion is estimated at US$ 553 million
- Almost every abortion death and disability could be prevented through sexuality education, use of effective contraception, provision of safe, legal induced abortion, and timely care for complications.